Pack your sneakers. This may seem like a "duh," but if you don't pack your sneakers, you won't work out. Easy.
Pack travel snacks. Even if you plan on eating out during your entire vacation, you'll still want snacks to stay fueled and sane during the actual traveling. It's fine if you want to indulge with local cuisine, but don't start your trip on the wrong foot with a rest stop McDonald's lunch. Some of my favorites include:
- Nutrition bars for sweet cravings, plus protein, fiber, and carbs (depending on the brand).
- Hummus and nuts for protein.
- Grape tomatoes and popcorn for when you just want something low-calorie to snack on.
- WATER. Lots and lots and lots of water.
Utilize bodyweight exercises. These are great if you dont' have access to a gym. Steve of Nerd Fitness wrote a great post outlining a bodyweight strength workout for beginners.
Fitness podcasts and apps. If you have an iPod or smartphone, these can be a great resource for a dedicated sweat session. Two suggestions:
- Nike Training Club. Has a variety of workouts, some are cardio-based, some are strength-based, and some are a combination. Gives great verbal cues and includes videos showing proper form. Works offline and allows you to play your music in the background.
- Power Yoga with Dave Farmar podcast. Practices run for about an hour. He has a really fun, relaxed personality.
Do you have any tips for staying fit while travelling?